IHS Markit needed a Survey tool for their existing Board Portal application in order to serve client needs.
UX, UI, information architecture, usability testing and rapid prototyping. I was the sole designer but frequently worked with my design team to gather feedback and align direction. I also worked with several Product Managers and our Dev Team.
I had 3 personas with very different needs (see image below). Ivy was the Administrator of the Board Portal and very focused on monitoring the progress of all the Board Members and Executives, while Martin, the Board Member, would almost always be the recipient of a survey and was usually out of the office using a mobile device. Eric the CEO was somewhere in the middle—sometimes receiving surveys and sometimes sending them.
In order to kick off the project I led a feature prioritization exercise with the Product Manager working with me. First we threw all our ideas on a white board, then we organized them into different priorities. This really helped us to align and organize our thoughts.
Next step was sketching my initial designs and then I moved into wireframing and reviewed those with my PM and another designer.
I went through several rounds of wireframe versions with my team (low & high fidelity), collecting feedback and updating the designs each time. Most of the elements we were able to align on pretty quickly but there were two pages that were highly debated (see circled areas above):
1. Surveys homepage: titles of the tabbed navigation and how many tabs were needed
2. Sending of a survey and how that functioned
Regarding the highly debated areas—I listened to the feedback and gave my outsider opinion (I was relatively new to the team). Being new had some benefits, fresh perspective on the product but that also had a downside: I was less knowledgeable about other parts of the application. When it came to sending the survey, the final design ultimately wasn't my decision—it was designed to operate like another part of the application.
Because time and resources were an issue, I was only able to test 4 internal IHS Markit employees. Although it was limited testing, it provided us with some valuable feedback and helped us to resolve some of the debated design elements.
I created a prototype with 4 test scenarios, a script to follow, recorded the audio and screen of all the testers, and created an Excel spreadsheet that tracked the test results.
For the tasks with a low "Ease of Use" score, I revised the design according to the comments I received. Most of the changes were pretty straight forward copy or placement changes. I didn't see a strong need to usability test again, especially because the developers were anxious to get started on this.
High Fidelity Prototype
I used InVision and Sketch to create this interactive prototype.
Like I explained at the beginning, Eric and Martin needed a mobile experience. The mobile MVP was limited to receiving and answering surveys. Creating and editing surveys was scheduled for farther down the roadmap.